Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Principles to Ponder Prior to Practicing Preferences

Image result for do I or don't IAll of us as believers at one time or another have been faced with the question of, "Can I as a Christian..." Many things are spelled out clearly in the Scriptures and we do not have to wonder whether a particular "thing" is "OK" for us to practice or to be involved in.

The problem we face at times is when the Scriptures are not clear or do not address a particular issue. This is where it gets dicey. Many well meaning believers have made mountains out of molehills and have made preferences paramount in their lives.

How do we decided what to do or not to do when these situations occur? What are the guidelines for determining the right and wrong of any given situation not covered by Scripture? First, if you have ask if something is wrong or unnecessary it probably is. Second, we do have some principles that give us some assistance in making decisions that will enable us to maintain a clear conscience, prevent wounding or violating the conscience of others, and to give glory to God in all things:

 "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to the Jews or to the Greeks, or to the church of God, just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ." [1 Corinthians 10:31-11:1, NKJV]

So, here are seven (7) principles to ponder prior to practicing personal preferences.

  • does this "thing" help me?
  • does this "thing" build me up in my faith?
  • does this "thing" help others rather than hurt/hinder them?
  • does this "thing" violate my conscience?
  • does this "thing" violate the conscience of others?
  • does this "thing" favorably magnify God's character to others?
  • does this "thing" offend those who are lost?

The next time you find yourself in the position of pondering an action or attitude that is not covered by Scripture, apply these seven (7) principles. They can keep you from offending yourself, others, and God.

(How did this post help you today? Please leave a comment.)

1 comment:

nashvillecats2 said...

A great post Gregg, I seem to always choose the wrong thing when it comes to "Should I".

Yvonne.