Saturday, February 6, 2016

Freedom From the Law

Scripture:  Galatians 4:12

"Dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to live as I do in freedom from these things, for I have become like you Gentiles were -- free from the law." (Galatians 4:12, NLT)

Observation:

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ, I am begging you to live your life like I live mine, free from the requirements of the law. Listen, I have become like you Gentiles used to be, free from the law. (Galatians 4:12, GDM)

Free from the law. Reading these words brings several feelings to my mind and to my heart. Feelings like:

  • Relief - I do not have to worry about keeping the law in order to please God, especially the smallest details
  • Freedom - I am not bound or chained to, "do this and do that" in order to please God
  • Joy - I know I am free from the law because Christ perfectly fulfilled the law for me
  • Refreshment - I am no long tired or weary or worn out from working, but I feel refreshed as I am free in Christ
  • Courage - I can face God and even enjoy God and His presence because I am free from fearing I didn't keep the law

As I live my life each day I am to live it in remembrance that I am free from the requirements of the law. I do not have to go "backwards" and attempt to keep all the points of the legal, ceremonial, and ritual portions of the law to please God. As a Gentile I was free from the law, or it had no binding on me, therefore I need to continue to live free of the law.

Application:

Sin to Confess:  becoming a slave to weak and useless spiritual powers
Promise to Claim:  No
Example to Copy:  Paul - lives in freedom from the requirements of the law
Error to Consider:  trying to find favor with God by what I do or don't do
Command to Complete:  Be like Paul - live in freedom, free from the law
Hypothesis to Construe:  Jesus provides freedom from the requirements of the law

Prayer:

Father, since you have provided Jesus Christ as a sacrifice for my sins and since he has fulfilled the law perfectly, I am free from the burden of keeping the law perfectly in order to please you. Thank you for freeing me and releasing me from something that I could never do apart from Jesus Christ. Father, help me to imitate and practice Paul's freedom and from trying to find favor with you by what I do or don't do. Enable me to be like Paul, to always live in freedom and to remain free from the law. Thank you Father, that you provide this freedom through your dear Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.


1 comment:

nashvillecats2 said...

A simply wonderful read and above all something to digest in our daily lives, Thanks Gregg,
Yvonne.