Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Purpose of My Life


Last week I turned 60 years old. If I were to use Psalm 90 as a guide and roughly count the days of my life as seventy years, or if by reason of strength the days of my life are eighty years, I have approximately 10 to 20 years of life left. Naturally, I know that God has already numbered my days from eternity past, and he knows when my life will end. He has the moment and the means of my demise already determined.

Turning sixty caused me to reflect on my life and my future. One thing that this reflection has done has caused me to take a hard look at the purpose of my life. Especially the purpose of the remaining years that I have left, (whatever that number may be.) Oh, don't get me wrong, I am well aware of the fact that ultimately my purpose is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever. But what does that mean? How do I do that? Do I have a plan that will accomplish it or am I just flailing along "willy-nilly?" 

This reflecting has spurred me on to draft and put on paper a "purpose statement for my life."

I am not sure if this purpose statement is to bulky and involved, but here goes. What do you think of it? How would you improve it? What suggestions do you have for me?


"The purpose of my life is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever by His grace through His Spirit and because of Christ’s atoning work by living with the mind of Christ, and by working out my salvation with fear and trembling, and by shepherding my family, as a nurturing father, and to edify and equip God’s people by teaching the Word of God."

3 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

This is something I too have been thinking about recently. I guess birthdays can do that especially when you pass 50 and then 60. I recently had my 64th birthday. My first milestone is to live longer than my father who died at 67--hope I make it well past then. But I also hope that my years to come are worthy to God.

Your purpose statement sounds totally reasonable to me.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

nashvillecats2 said...

Belated birthday greetings to you Gregg, I am older than both you and Lee.
Enjoyed the read.
Yvonne.

Susan said...

I'm 60 this May. My how time flies, I still feel like I should be in my 40's ;)
His goodness is the only true goodness we can have in our lives, and to have given us that for eternity is truly miraculous and wonderful... we've only just begun!