Tuesday, July 8, 2014

From the Pastor's Heart...


The Diary of a Pastor

(Page 1 - Entry 1)

Sunday has come and gone. An entire week of preparation and prayer had gone into the message. Now, the service is over and all that is left is the fear, the wonder, the doubt, the hopes, and faith.

The message had a specific subject, in other words, it was about something specific. The message had a definite purpose. I didn't just "phone it in." I put my heart and soul in the preparation and the delivery.

All I can do now is trust God to quell my fears that His people may have missed the main point of the message. I can only pray that God will overcome my doubts of whether I was clear and precise. I can only hope and have faith that the Holy Spirit will supersede my inadequacies and use the Word to do a work of grace in the hearts of God's people.

Mondays and Tuesdays are rough! Can I love these people any more? Can I hope for them and want any more than I do now for their passion for God? Could I have said anything more that would increase their delight in their God?

"So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11)



4 comments:

Scott said...

Amen. Mondays are tough, even Sunday afternoons. But I am often reminded of Spurgeon's words to his students: "To us the presence and work of the Holy Spirit are the ground of our confidence as to the wisdom and hopefulness of our life work. If we had not believed in the Holy Ghost we should have laid down our ministry long ere this, for 'who is sufficient for these things?' Our hope of success, and our strength for continuing the service, lie in our belief that the Spirit of the Lord resteth upon us." Rest in that, brother!

Gregg Metcalf said...

@ Scott - Amen to that!

kc bob said...

Good stuff Gregg.

Gregg Metcalf said...

@ Bob - Thanks Brother.