Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Streator to York, NE

Thursday morning came way to early. We got up around 4:00ish. After a shower, getting dressed, at last look around the motel to make sure that we didn't leave anything, we pulled out of the parking lot at exactly 5:00 AM. It was hard. Just 2 miles down the road and a left turn was our daughter, grandson, and son-in-law. But we had to go home.

It is about a 20 minute drive to Ottawa, Illinois. I like Ottawa very much. If the Lord opened a door I would move to Ottawa in a heartbeat. If the Lord said you had 30 minutes to pack for a move to Ottawa, I would ask Him what He wanted me to do with the remaining 29 minutes.

About an hour later the sun came up. Shortly after that we crossed the Mississippi River leaving Illinois and entered Iowa. Most of the day was an uneventful drive across Iowa. The country was gorgeous. It was pretty flat and straight. Our conversation centered on how short the visit seemed, how happy Sharon was with all that Irene brought, and what a good time we had.

There is really nothing to say about this leg of the trip. The weather was great. The car ran like a champ. Thank God for talk radio and sports radio to break the periodic monotony. However, this trip did something that nothing else had done in 59 years. I became a basketball fan.

Up until arriving at my son-in-law's home, I hadn't seen a complete basketball game. I watched playoffs at his house on that magnificent 71 inch TV. Most of the radio programs was sports radio that featured on Miami's bid for a three-peat; whether Labron James would stay in Miami or go to Cleveland. All that basketball talk was broken up now and then with talk that centered around Johnny Football in Cleveland. After getting home, I have now watched the Spurs eliminate the Thunder. I have decided that my favorite basketball team is the Portland Trailblazers and ANY team that beats the Thunder.

We crossed Iowa with nothing to report and drove into Nebraska. I
think we drove a couple of hours into Nebraska when we came to our first motel stop which was in York, NE. York is a city and county seat of York County, Nebraska, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 7,766. It is the home of York College and the Nebraska Correctional Center for Women

Our first motel was The New Victorian Inn. What a motel! It was a little slice of heaven. The room was gorgeous. It had a recliner for a side chair. A recliner! You don't know what that means to me. I can only sleep for a couple hours and then the pain in my knees and legs wake me up. I switch directions on the bed and I get another couple of hours sleep. The pain wakes me up again. I go out into the living room and sleep in my recliner and I get a good nights sleep. So having this recliner meant I would get a good nights sleep.

I unloaded my power chair and "wheeled" my way to McDonald's for a chicken sandwich. We took a "walk" and then went in and got ready for the night. Was able to finish Iain Murray's book, Evangelicalism Divided before bed. Now I need to do a review on it for The Banner of Truth Trust. Let me say this is an excellent book, it is a must read, and I think you should drop what you are doing and go out and purchase this book or order it online ASAP! Thus far it is my best book of 2014.

Sorry, lights out! Time to hit the hay. Already put the do not disturb sign on the door.Tomorrow -  the leg from York, NE to Rawlins, Wyoming.

1 comment:

Larri said...

My DH sleeps in a recliner, so I understand what a blessing it was to find one in your hotel room. Sounds as though you had a good time on this leg of your trip! :)