Monday, October 21, 2013

Do You Save or Squander Time?


Do we, as blood-bought children of God have a biblical view of time? We are familiar with the Paul's admonition to the Ephesian congregation to "Redeem time wisely." Do we really have a deep sense of the value of time? Listen to these quotes I came across this week on this very subject:

"Give me a Christian that counts his time more precious than gold."  (Joseph Alleine)

When a man left his study after interrupting his study by taking up his time, John Cotton was quoted as saying, "I would rather have given this man a handful of money, than have been kept thus long out of my study."

Melancthon when he had an appointment fixed not only the hour but fixed the exact minute so that no time was lost in the appointment.

Seneca was fond of saying, "Time is the only of which it is a virtue to be covetous."

Charles Bridge wrote, "We should be like the miser with his money. saving it [time] with care and spending it with caution."

"Be careful to make a good improvement of precious time." (David Brainerd)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to think I spend my time wisely whether out walking or writing blogs and commenting on others, to waste precious time is a sin.

Yvonne.

John Patrick Donovan said...

My time has not been used for productive work for the Kingdom of God, therefore I believe it was squandered.

Arlee Bird said...

This is something that is on my mind frequently. I know I squander more time than I would like. Sometimes it's difficult to avoid, but still I try to organize time in the most efficient way I can.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Gregg Metcalf said...

Yvonne - Great!

Pat - the good news is that God calls us to repent, He forgives, and we can start a new day! Press on brother!

Lee - It will always get away from us, but if we don't attemtp discipline we will never achieve it.