Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Driving Passion - Making Much of God

When I read yesterday morning in my morning quiet time; 

 "For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, on account of sin, but those [who live] according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit." (Romans 8:5, NKJV) it reminded me of Colossians 3:1-4 which reads;

"If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ [who is] our life appears. then you also will appear with Him in glory."

We as believers are to "make much" of our glorious God and Savior Jesus Christ. God is supreme in this universe. We acknowledge God as the "Supreme Being." However, what does that mean?

My passion and my goal is to make much of God and to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things. Regardless of some of the things that trouble me about John Piper I will be eternally grateful for his challenge to make much of God and to desire to see God regarded as supreme in all things.

Let me challenge you to seek a passion to make much of our majestic God. Let me challenge to desire to see Him supreme in all things. God is supreme in every aspect of your life.

Don't settle for the "fool's gold" littering your life, seek after the true riches supplied by and enjoyed in the character and nature of our God. In order to do so however, one must not set one's "sights" on the baubles of this world. One must seek the things that are heavenly and one's mind must be on God.

2 comments:

Susan said...

When I was first saved I was jabbering on and on about Jesus all the time. One day a Christian friend admonished me that I shouldn't be SO heavenly minded that I am no earthly good. Since that time, I've heard that phrase again and again, but I think one cannot be too heavenly minded. Being heavenly minded is different from having your head in the clouds. Maybe people get the two mixed up (?) ...anyway, as always I love what you stir up in my thinking! Thanks for the "heavenly thoughts" :)

Gregg Metcalf said...

Susan - glad your thinking is stirred up! You are welcome!