Tuesday, August 27, 2013

When Shepherds Compromise

Compromise with the world or with sin is reason for any heart to grieve. Tears should flow. Christ-like anger should ignite. Compromise is evil, it is wicked, and it is despicable. 

Compromise in essence is saying that, "God, as great as you are, you aren't quite enough. I need this other thing to complete me in ways you seem to have  fallen short. No offense God, but it takes a bit of you and a bit of _______ to make me happy."

Compromise in the pew breaks the heart of any truly called shepherd. Pastors spend innumerable hours on their face shedding tears when they discover or detect compromise in the sheep that they love so dearly. I have spent countless times in prayer with tears running down my face when I have learned that some dear person of God that I had charge over compromised biblical principles.

If there is anything more disturbing to me and causes my heart to ache than seeing sheep compromise, is to see or hear of shepherds who compromise biblical standards. I know that shepherds are human beings. I know that they are flesh and blood men. I know that shepherds are susceptible to temptation and sin as much or more than God's sheep or lambs. How do I know? 

"For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do that I do not practice, but what I hate, that I do." (Romans 7:15, NKJV)

I spend more time than I would like to admit fending off the lure and enticement of my flesh to both compromise and/or sin. 

I don't think it serves any purpose to name a name or even the offense. First, it is obvious that the  gentleman does not see what he did. Second, I sadly doubt that if this post were ever brought to his attention it would alter his rationalization process that permitted him to do what he did. Third, no one saw fit to call him on it.

My heart still struggles with the recitation of his actions. More so my heart struggles with the fact that a number of men listened in silence without saying anything at all. Most of all my heart hangs in shame because I too said nothing. I sat there in absolute shock and disbelief at what I heard.

What chance does the sheep have if the shepherds violate biblical principles? When I was in bible college a godly man whom I still love to this day taught me that people will rise no higher than the man in the pulpit. 

Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting or advocating "hero" worship of pastors. I took his meaning to be that my people won't be any more holier, Christ-like, mature, or biblical than I am. If they see me break, bend, fold, spindle, or mutilate biblical principles, why would they act any differently. 

Thank God, He can and I am sure has, hit the over-ride button and cancelled out the sinful effect that my compromises had upon the saints. I believe my people knew and understood I was merely clay. I was a sinner saved by grace. But my actions must be above approach. I am an example to the flock. They are to imitate me as long as I am imitating Christ. I must not compromise lest I teach a tender lamb that they may compromise also.

May God deliver us from shepherds who become dull and insensitive to what they say or do. May we be given by God men who are alert, sober, watchful, and on guard as much as they can be by the grace of Almighty God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blogg Gregg, enjoyed the read,

Yvonne.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Yvonne - thank you very much!