Monday, September 10, 2012

Poll: Most Americans Would Vote for an Atheist


Would you vote for an atheist? According to a USA Today poll from June, 54% of those surveyed said that they would vote for a “well-qualified” atheist for President. According to a Gallup Poll is the highest percentage since 1958 which was only 18%.

Apparently an “imaginary” candidate passed the 50% marker for the very first time since Gallup surveyed the public in August of 2011. Looks like the numbers are trending upward.

"We have seen an enormous change over time in the willingness to vote for an atheist," said Karlyn Bowman , a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute  for Public Policy Research, which reports the numbers in its current newsletter. "But I think the numbers also remind us that this is a deeply religious country. That doesn't mean we are all going to church on Sunday, but that having religion in your life is valuable to most Americans and I think that explains the resistance."

Would you vote for an atheist?

5 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Although not an American I would not vote for an atheist, but politics and religion is always a vocal issue.

Yvonne.

Arlee Bird said...

"Well qualified" is a key word here and who the other candidates might be. If it were an extreme liberal who extolled those values yet who claimed to be a Christian or an atheist who was a known conservative who shared my moral values--yes, I would vote for the atheist. Or if it were the same kind of atheist as previously mentioned as opposed to a hard-line Muslim whose intent was to change the American way--yes, I would vote for the atheist.

The choice would depend on the variables at hand, but I hope we never have to face that decision.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Larri said...

I think I'd like to see who and where they surveyed these Americans. Demographics play a big part in these polls. Interesting, to say the least. Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

I would vote for an athiest under one condition. That they were firmly against abortion and vowed to abolish it. But I doubt that would ever happen.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Greg I got your message through the "comments" so don't quite understand why you couldn't comment. I know some people are having problems reading my blog but I have done all I could to get it up and running.

Yvonne.