Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Bet You Didn't Know...


Dogs are mentioned 42 times in the Bible, and lions 100 times, but domestic cats are not mentioned at all.

The word “grandmother” appears in the Bible only once: 2 Timothy 1:5.

The word “eternity” is mentioned only once: Isaiah 57:15.

Seven suicides are recorded in the Bible.

Almonds and pistachios are the only nuts mentioned in the Bible.

The word “Christian” appears only three times in the Bible: Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16.

The longest word in the Bible is Maher-shalal-hash-baz: Isaiah 8:1.

7 comments:

Scott said...

Depends on translation. Eternity shows up four times in the ESV, and the word KJV uses for eternity in Is. 57 is actually used 48 times, just translated "forever and ever" etc.

I love these little trivia things. Thanks, Gregg.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Yes, I noticed that translations can change some of the figures. Great you checked! :)

Anonymous said...

I love facts and figures and such. Thanks! And try to say that last word five times fast.

Larri said...

And what does that longest word mean? Interesting facts! Thanks for sharing. Happy Thursday! ☺

Petra said...

You guessed right, I didn't know. :-) Cool facts!

kc bob said...

Is it unchristian to not love Almonds and pistachios? Probably not but I definitely like them. :)

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Sorry for my lateness.
Many of what you wrote I didn't know. but as usual you are a mind of information Gregg.

Thanks for coming by with birthday wishes for myself and Lara.

Yvonne.