Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Reading

With the days "shorter," much colder, and the rain more prevalent during our Pacific Northwest winters I have planned my winter reading. Winter begins December 22, 2011 and comes to an official close on March 20, 2011. On those dark and blusterous winter nights I am going to get warm and cozy and have challenged myself to read the entire two volume set of The Works of Jonathan Edwards.

I have read a number of books, articles, and excerpts from these works but I have never completely read every page. It will be a challenge to work through his diary, the various books he wrote, and many of his sermons. I hope my brain won't explode as I take on the greatest theologian and thinker America has ever produced.

What about you?
What are your winter reading goals?

8 comments:

John Patrick Donovan said...

when i reader Jonathan Edwards i have to read, reread, and read again, his mind is huge, and his logic, WOW.

Persis said...

I'm going to start the Institutes. If I do 1 chapter a week, it will take me approximately a year and a half to complete.

jel said...

merry christmas

mikew116 said...

A very interesting challenge, I think John Piper recommended every preacher read through his works carefully.

Merry Christmas, Bro Gregg!

mikew116 said...

And my reading goal is to read two volumes of the St. Andrews Expository Commentaries (John and Romans) by R. C. Sproul.

Scott said...

I'm sure you'll be immensely blessed by reading Edwards. As for me, I think I just want to get started on the more than 300 books I've downloaded for my Kindle. Curse those freebies!!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

It's great you have the winter days all sorted......Good reading.

Yvonne.

Brian Ray Todd said...

I know that I need to red more. Even with my lousy eyes, I enjoy the peaceful time and the learning that i receive. I also have the complete Works of Jonathon Edwards that needs to be read cover to cover. But i afraid that i shall have to wait for vacations and retirement to get to the place where I can read as I dream & wish. Blessings.