Tuesday, October 4, 2011

IFCA Fall Regional Update

Just a quick update:

Last night I attended the Monday evening session of the IFCA Pacific Northwest Regional at the Lewis and Clark Bible Church in Astoria, Oregon. Astoria is right on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. If you remember Lewis and Clark spent the winter near there in Seaside and in  Fort Clatsop  in Astoria. It was a very pleasant and relaxing drive down highway 30 from Longview to Astoria. I crossed the Columbia River which flows between Washington and Oregon over the Lewis and Clark Bridge and it was barely 80 minutes to the coast.

The theme of this regional is "Beautiful Feet," a reference to Romans 10:15 of those who proclaim the gospel. Dr. Steve Wilt of Fellowship International Mission is conducting a series on "Beautiful Feet - Encouragement in Evangelism." Last night we were reminded from Mark 15 about the type of "soil" we are sowing the seed of the gospel. The lost are indifferent, ignorant, irreverent, and indignant toward Christ and the gospel. The soil needs to be cultivated before it can be planted and watered if there is to be hope of a harvest. Interesting! I have been reading something similar lately in a book called The Making of the Church by Ben Arment.

The fellowship was fantastic. The first person I saw when I walked toward the church of meeting place was Richard Parker. It made me want to weep. Rich joined our church in Federal Way and desired growth. We worked together and I poured my life into Rich and a few other men and I was able to train and see Rich appointed as our first Elder to assist me in shepherding the flock in Federal Way. Rich became my right hand man. He has gone on to be an elder in two other churches as his business has required him to move. Rich is currently serving as an Elder at the Lewis and Clark Bible Church. Praise God he has continued faithful all these years. It is beyond words to describe seeing the other men I have known, loved and fellowshipped with since around 1984 or 1985 in the IFCA.


3 comments:

John Patrick Donovan said...

its always good seeing old brothers and sisters you haven't seen in years.
amen brother.

John Patrick Donovan said...

P.S. I used to go to lewis and clark years ago, I wish that i could go with just to see the old church once again.

Toyin O. said...

Sound like you had an awesome time.