Friday, December 11, 2009

One Pilgrim’s Persistent Progress

At the risk of being repetitious (although I attribute repetition as the mother of learning) I continue to reflect on the fact that 2009 is coming to a close. As a result, a new year is off in the distance waiting to gently descend upon us. As I think on this, two passages of scripture come to my mind:

Ephesians 5:15-17 – “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”

Psalms 90:12“…teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.”

I am nothing more than a stranger and a pilgrim traveling toward a city that is heavenly and not earthly. This pilgrimage that I am on is the most unique journey that any human mind could imagine. I am to walk not by sight but by faith. I am to continue to press on toward a mark, a prize, a reward that I cannot see and simply have a mere glimpse of in this life.


I don’t know fully how carefully I walked in 2009. I believe that earlier in this past year I was more unwise than wise. I am not sure at this point how well I used the time God gave me in 2009, but I am sure if there was a “do over button” I would not hesitate to hit it.

Let me say, I am not melancholy nor has these moments of introspection and reflection caused me any distress. I am grieved in the sense that I may have blurred the glory and nature of our glorious God by being unwise at times and not making the best use of my time. We are all aware that we can never recapture the moment – we can never relive the hours or days we misspent. I thank God for His grace that He has given me a set amount of days and helps me to live them to the fullest for His glory.

So, I am persistent in my pilgrimage. I am pressing onward and upward. I am making forward progress in my journey toward that City of God. As I look forward to 2010 with the hopeful and prayer expectation of “even so come quickly Lord Jesus”, I am trusting in God to continue to teach me five (5) things:

1. To live my life carefully or circumspectly

2. To live by and with Godly wisdom

3. To make the best use of my time in 2010

4. To not be foolish or to spend the precious time allotted to me as a fool

5. To understand what God’s will is for this coming year

How say you?

No comments: