Thursday, December 10, 2009

Nine Nifty books of 2009


I thought I would share with you nine of the many books that I have read this year. I found value in each one of them even if I found some things I couldn’t agree with. Most of us know how to eat a good piece of fish – if you come to a bone, you just eat around it. Heaven forbid that you would throw away the whole fish for a couple of bones!


Many of you may have already discovered one or more of these books. I have always wanted to post a “top ten” list on my blog but haven’t been able to think of one funny or interesting enough. I thought since 2009 is almost gone, I could share the top ten, or should I say top nine books did I enjoy this year. So, here goes! For the record these are in no particular order.

1. Faith Undone by Roger Oakland

2. God Gave Wine: What the Bible Says About Alcohol by Kenneth Gentry

3. Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson

4. Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cures by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

5. Growing Up in Grace: The Use of Means for Communion With God

6. Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate by Jerry Bridges

7. Finally Alive by John Piper

8. God’s Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards by John Piper

9. Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography by Ian Murray

Some other books I enjoyed Worship Matters by Bob Kaufman, Biblical Eldership by Alexander Strauch (for the third time), Humility by C. J. McHaney. There were quite a few more but I have already violated the “top nine.”

Solomon was right when he said in Ecclesiastes 12:12, “…of making of books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.”

I am looking forward to becoming very weary in 2010!

No comments: