Wednesday, November 4, 2009

This one thing that I do...


The glory of God is a silver thread which must run through all our actions. I Corinthians 10:31 - 'Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.' Everything works to some end in things natural and artificial; now, man being a rational creature, must propose some end to himself, and that should be, that he may lift up God in the world. He had better lose his life than the end of his living. The great truth is asserted, that the end of every man's living should be to glorify God. Glorifying God has respect to all the persons in the Trinity; it respects God the Father who gave us life; God the Son, who lost his life for us; and God the Holy Ghost, who produces a new life in us; we must bring glory to the whole Trinity.

Today’s timely quote comes from Thomas Watson’s A Body of Divinity. It is obvious that we have but one purpose in this life and that is to magnify or reflect the glorious character and nature of the one and true living God. It honestly doesn’t get any more simpler or complicated than that.

The one phrase in that sentence that has periodically haunted me since I first read it some five (5) years ago is “He had better lose his life than the end of his living.” The end of my living is to stand before God and hear him say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.” I can not imagine what it must be like to come to the end of life and to have completely failed at my “purpose.” Yet, countless, multitudes do. Watson’s estimate (which is not infallible) is that one would be better off dead.

It has been my prayer for quite some time that I am first, always reminded by God of my singular purpose for existing; second, that God will always enable me by his strength to fulfill my purpose, third, that I will find my joy in him as I fulfill my purpose, and finally that everything I do, say, think, or feel with be used of God to fulfill my purpose.

No comments: