Thursday, July 30, 2009

Summer Time Blues?

Summer is certainly here, particularly this past week in the Northwest. Temperatures are far above my comfort level! Yet, setting aside rising thermometers and overworked air conditioners, summer is a time when it seems like there is not enough time for me.
There are so many projects that need to be done and so many things that need attention. Between yard work, home repair, car maintenance, and personal projects, necessary things can get lost. I struggle to maintain proper priorities during the summer. Beautiful days and warm temperatures call me to be lazy, to spend more recreational time than normal causing some important things like blogs, reading, prayer, and other spiritual exercises to be relegated to second place.
Weeding the yard and weeding my soul are both important enterprises, and making time for both is my challenge. God has given us days with more daylight, days with less rain, and warmer temps, all of which are wonderful gifts - yet greater temptation for me.
I trust that as you enjoy your summer that you have developed priorities to accomplish all that needs to be done and maintain your close walk with your Lord. I wold be interested to hear of some of your projects and how you exercise discernment in priorities.
May God bless us richly this summer and keep us from any summer time blues of ignoring Him and any spiritual disciplines!

1 comment:

Persis said...

It's been a busy time for me. I don't want to cut short time in the Word and I haven't had as much time to read spiritual books which I miss. But as God is sovereign, maybe I need to take grace for this season and trust that He gives what is needed to His children at the right time.

Stay cool. It sounds like it's been really hot in the Northwest.