Friday, June 12, 2009

Time? Where does it go?

“making the best use of the time, because they days are evil.” (Eph 5:16 ESV) Paul encourages the Ephesian believers to make the best use of the time that God has given them, since the age in which they lived was filled with evil. This phrase, “making the best use” is also known as “redeem” or even “purchase.” The idea of course is clear, we are to utilize every minute that we have for the valuable things of God since time as we know it, is so short. We are encouraged to be proactive in taking advantage of every opportunity to do good for one another and for the glory of God. As we all know, this is certainly easier said than done! Circumstances and events in our lives have a way of encroaching upon what little time we think we have. C. S. Lewis once wrote; “The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.” Benjamin Franklin made an interesting observation about time when he said, “Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that the stuff life is made of.” Paul, goes on to say that we need wisdom in order to utilize and prioritize our time in ways which are profitable. God’s will or direction is not always easily detected or determined, therefore we need to constantly seek him by meditating on His precious Word. Of course, it is in the word that I can discern God’s principles that govern my choices. I am conscious of “time” these last several days because I seem to have so short supply of it. Yet, Lewis is right, regardless of whatever I am doing, or not doing, I still have sixty minutes an hour to wisely make the best use of. Yet, it has been difficult to fit everything in I needed to do, including writing this blog.
But, alas, I shall meditate on God’s word, I will try not to be foolish with the time I have been given, and I will attempt (with your prayers) to understand what the will of the Lord is.

No comments: