Friday, June 5, 2009

Humility: True Greatness

There is no doubt that when this book arrived on the scene in 2005 that it caused quiet a stir. Its topic is one that we all treat as the “500 pound gorilla” in the room. We realize that pride is the number one sin that God hates and despises, yet it is the one sin that we seem to have the greatest difficulty getting a handle on. Pride is so elusive, so subtle, so deceptive, and it is so prevalent in everything that we are in our being. C. J. Mahaney does an excellent job in tackling this “500 pound gorilla.” In a very humble, yet powerful way he walks us through this sin that plagues us all. He states that; “Humility draws the gaze of our Sovereign God.” He makes the point that humility gets God’s attention, especially as he uses Isaiah 66:2 as support: “…this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” (ESV) When I read this I immediately stopped and bowed my head to say to God, “This is the man I want to be, please work these things in my life!” I don't know why I was not aware of this book until this past month. Of course, all things are in God's sovereign timing. If there is someone like me who is not aware of this book I want to take this time to recommend it to you! What I found to be most valuable was his list of practical suggestions to do what he calls, “How to weaken pride and cultivate humility by always maintaining a focus on the cross, practicing several exercises as each day begins, through a special focused study on certain pertinent subjects, and with a very practical on going exercise. These are so practical that I have begun to practice them in anticipation of God reducing the pride I battle with in order to be the man that draws His attention.
I have read and am re-reading this book. It is challenging but I highly recommend it. Reading Humility: True Greatness will change the way you think about this sin called pride. Reading it can transform your thinking and your life. If you haven’t read it yet, stop putting it off, today is the day!

1 comment:

John said...

It sounds like a great book. This has been the sin I have most often confessed recently.